Anyone else here old enough to remember when nothing ever went on sale until after Christmas? Now it seems that it’s just one big sale after another from Black Friday until New Year’s Day (and beyond). I’ll admit, I have a bit of “sale fatigue.” I’ve been working my way through the year-end sales, and while there’s a lot background noise, I’ve come across a few things worth a look.
As always, I advise against buying anything just because it’s deeply discounted. You’ll end up with a flock of closet orphans that way, and won’t really save money in the long run. My litmus test is whether I would have been tempted to buy the item at full price. If the answer is “not even close,” then I’ll keep walking, nothing to see here.
When The Year-End Sales Are Worth The Effort…
But if you’re looking for something specific, it’s probably as good a time as any to get a reduced price. A lightweight cardigan in a neutral color has the potential to be a wardrobe workhorse. The one above is marked down substantially. (Eileen Fisher currently has all sale items discounted an extra 30% now through January 2.)
If there’s a warm-weather destination or cruise in your travel plans, here’s a great little throw-on-and-go linen dress that can take you from poolside to dinner with a change of accessories. (And at the sale price, it’s well under $100!)
This coat in camel-colored Loro Piana wool fabric is an investment for sure, but it’s a classic coat that you’ll wear year after year. Sizes are limited…if you’re size 12-16, you’re in luck! (At least as of this writing.) Other colors offered too, with broader size availability.
My much-loved collarless sweater blazer from J.Crew in this burgundy color (see how I wore it here) is an additional 50% off the sale price with code BIGGERSALE. And it’s still available in sizes xx-Small to 3x!
I’ve been drooling over this bag since I first spotted it a few months ago. It’s now 50% off!
Through today only, you can save 20% off all collections at Black UK, including this lovely scarf with Swarovski crystals.
Tips For Shopping Big Sales Effectively
With so many markdowns now, it’s easy to get overwhelmed or distracted by shiny objects (“fun” items with limited wearability, or deep discounts on something you’d never otherwise consider).
- Make a list! What are you shopping for? Prioritize from most specific (e.g. navy cashmere cardigan) to more general (e.g. pants).
- Use the retailer’s website filter function. Once you hit that massive SALE landing page, use the filter buttons (usually on the top or left-hand side) to narrow down your search by item type, size, color, price, brand, etc.
- Multiply your odds. Unless an item is final sale, don’t be afraid to order multiple sizes if you’re unsure of the fit.
- Be sure of the return policy. Some retailers have a more generous return window than others.
- Don’t settle. If the color doesn’t do you any favors, or the fit isn’t right (and the item can’t be altered), or if the quality seems lacking, pass it up. A low price isn’t a good value if what you’re buying won’t hold up or if you won’t wear it.
Year-End Sales Worth A Peek…
Anthropologie – Winter Tag Sale with extra 30% off sale items.
Black UK – Christmas Event, 20% off all collections
Bloomingdales – savings of up to 75% through 1/6/19.
Chico’s – Semi-Annual Sale, up to 70% off
Everlane – Choose What You Pay event
J.Crew – extra 50% off sale styles with code BIGGERSALE
Lands’ End – sale items up to 65% off, plus 40% off full-priced styles. Code SNOWMAN, pin 2469
Neiman Marcus – After-Christmas Sale, up to 60% off
Net-a-Porter – up to 70% off
Nordstrom – Half-Yearly Sale, up to 50% off.
Talbot’s – Red Hanger Sale, extra 40% off markdowns.