too darn hot

Raquel Allegra top

top: Raquel Allegra | earrings: Argento Vivo (similar) | bag: Givenchy |
jeans: NYDJ (similar) | bracelet: Metal Pointus (similar) | sandals: Everlane (similar)

While many of you are enjoying some crisp fall days and are breaking out the sweaters, here in Southern California (and much of the Southwest apparently) we’ve been slogging through a heatwave with temperatures in the high 90’s-100’s F. At least over the weekend it was a dry heat; now it’s getting humid too. :-p

But le Monsieur and I still enjoyed our weekend staycation, and did very little other than eating, a bit of walking around, eating, shopping, eating, reading, and lounging by the pool. It was just so nice to not have to be on a schedule!

French Kande necklaces

top: Eileen Fisher (similar) |  necklaces: French Kande here and here | bag: Chloé (similar) |
pants: Eileen Fisher | sandals: Eileen Fisher

We had dinner al fresco one evening, and I wore this (above). The temperature outdoors after sundown was a “comfortable” 82F.

Givenchy small pandora

top: Eileen Fisher (similar) | earrings: Argento Vivo (similar) | bracelet: French Kande |
bag: Givenchy | pants: Eileen Fisher | sandals: Everlane (similar)

You may notice I didn’t bring any tee shirts. While I do often wear them underneath jackets or sweaters, when the weather is hot I’ve found that not only do lightweight shirts with sleeves feel more polished, but during the day keep me as cooler than a tee or tank by keeping the sun off my arms. Yes, linen rumples but it can’t be beat in the heat, and I love how it drapes and moves.

Those Eileen Fisher stretch crepe pants are surprisingly comfortable in the heat. I wore them last year in Hong Kong and Thailand, in even warmer and more humid conditions. If you’re planning any travel to warm destinations, I’d definitely recommend these (and they are also available in white).

How’s the weather where you are? How do you dress for unseasonable conditions?

1. October 13, 2015 / 5:18 am

We are being slammed here in Northern CA too. Today should hit 99! Disgustingly hot! Love your outfit with the sleeveless top. Perfectly accessorized with those French Kande beauties! I wear those EF crepe pants year round. They’re a workhorse in my wardrobe.

October 14, 2015 / 7:31 pm

Jennifer, is it cooling down there at all? They keep forecasting a *slight* cooldown but then it never happens. 🙁

2. sandypatti
    October 13, 2015 / 5:54 am

Even here in Florida, I am awed by the temps you’re experiencing in L.A.! You do look fab and fresh, but I hope you were often indoors, having a wee cocktail. xox

-Patti

October 14, 2015 / 7:30 pm

sandypatti, thanks! We usually have warm Septembers and early Octobers, but this has been ridiculous! We did find a few cocktails along the way… 😉

3. Linda B
    October 13, 2015 / 5:59 am

After a relatively cool time last week in the 80s, we are back to the mid-90s here in Tucson. It is so discouraging to not feel fall. However, it is cooling off well at night, and that helps, especially when I go out for my morning run before work. I just can’t move the same way in the heat. And I certainly am struggling to find inspiration for dressing in this endless summer. I am grateful that it is supposed to cool back down to the 80s in a few days.

October 14, 2015 / 7:29 pm

Linda B, lately we haven’t been cooling off at night which is very unusual here. I keep hoping for a cool down, but the forecast for the next few days holds little promise.

4. October 13, 2015 / 6:00 am

It was 97 in South Texas yesterday and 80 when I got up at 5 am to go work out! You are right…just too hot for October. Love the looks though!

October 14, 2015 / 7:27 pm

Pam, OOF that’s warm! Thank you.

5. PHX
    October 13, 2015 / 6:20 am

Last weekend was actually cooler in Phoenix than in LA…

October 14, 2015 / 7:27 pm

PHX, hard to believe, isn’t it??

6. Vera
    October 13, 2015 / 7:38 am

I agree with your assessment of the Eileen Fisher stretch crepe pants. We were in China for two weeks this past June/July. It was hot and humid everywhere. I loved both my black EF pants and my midnight blue ones. With long-sleeve silk tops and some snazzy, but lightweight, jewelry I felt comfortable, polished, and dressed for whatever came my way. Eileen Fisher makes clothing that is great for town, and great for travel. Love her stuff!

October 14, 2015 / 7:27 pm

Vera, me too! I was really surprised at how well these pants handle heat.

October 14, 2015 / 7:26 pm

TNMA, thank you. I’m envious of your cooler weather!

7. Leslie K
    October 13, 2015 / 8:45 am

I love all the looks on you! I’m amazed you’re able to look so fresh in this unbearable heat!

October 14, 2015 / 7:25 pm

Leslie K, thanks! It helps to duck in and out of air conditioning. 🙂

8. October 13, 2015 / 8:51 am

Love that black tank with the layered necklaces. Very seductive, in an extremely dignified and graceful way.

October 14, 2015 / 7:24 pm

amidprivilege, thanks very much!

9. Julie
    October 13, 2015 / 9:30 am

I’ve always gone to Disneyland with the family in October….this year we had no choice but to go this past weekend (memorial service day before) and I will NEVER EVER EVER go there when it is that hot again. Never. Temps over 100, slogging through the park was horrific. Back in the hotel room during middle of the day, and back out when there was some shade. Park was at capacity, crowds like I’ve not seen in the past 25 years of going every October…I can now say “I’ve done it” though!

October 14, 2015 / 7:24 pm

Julie, I can’t *imagine* having been at Disneyland the past few days!! We used to go with jeune homme but never when it was warmer than low 80’sF.

10. elizabeth
    October 13, 2015 / 12:16 pm

You look maaahhhhhvelous, darling!

October 14, 2015 / 7:22 pm

elizabeth, thank you!

11. October 13, 2015 / 1:05 pm

The diagonal top is gorgeous with the white jeans and cognac sandals. I agree with you about loose long sleeves keeping you cool. I’m very fair and burn easily so I find it’s better to cover up than have to slather on a whole body of suncream and feel sweaty and oily – yuk! And as for those temperatures – my, I just don’t know how you guys manage it. I can only cope up to about 80/85 and then I melt! Glad you enjoyed your staycation. I love the look of the sculpture behind you

October 14, 2015 / 7:22 pm

Petite Silver Vixen, thanks so much! It helps that there usually isn’t a lot of humidity here.

12. marsha calhoun
    October 13, 2015 / 1:29 pm

You look lovely and happy and rested, and of course, beautifully turned out – showing that one can look good even in hot weather (I’m experiencing the same thing here, but not as sartorially successfully as you have proven can be done).

October 14, 2015 / 7:18 pm

Marsha, thank you. I do find it very challenging to look polished and put-together in the heat. Much easier when there are more layers involved!

13. Duchesse
    October 13, 2015 / 2:40 pm

You look so relaxed and full of joie de vivre! I think you could be wearing about anything, with that smile!

October 14, 2015 / 7:17 pm

Duchesse, thanks so much! It was a relaxing couple of days, which we really needed.

14. October 13, 2015 / 4:05 pm

I’m glad you got to relax!

All your outfits look great! I also like wearing lightweight long- or 3/4 sleeve shirts much better than tees when it’s really hot.

October 14, 2015 / 7:16 pm

Andrea, thank you!

15. Jill Ann
    October 13, 2015 / 5:43 pm

Ridiculously hot here in Houston. I played tennis yesterday afternoon & nearly got heat stroke (not kidding). Today I was out & about, window shopping a bit before my hair appointment. Gazed wistfully at the beautiful sweaters and coats in the store windows. Hard to imagine ever needing to wear any of that…..

October 14, 2015 / 7:16 pm

Jill Ann, I couldn’t imagine doing anything as physically demanding as tennis in the heat!

16. nell
    October 13, 2015 / 7:33 pm

Very cute outfits! I can only echo what others have said about how lovely, cool and relaxed you look in your elegantly casual turnouts.

We’ve had a bit of Indian summer in this part of the Northeast, ending abruptly today. Only got to about 60 today, and windy and a bit overcast. So I went autumnal and wore a brown cotton skirt, sage and white shirt, and sage knit jacket. Broke out my favorite “fall” pendant, which is a pretty Pompeian (sp?) red enameled piece with tiny bronze colored “leaves” underneath the enamel…

October 14, 2015 / 7:15 pm

nell, thank you! Your fall outfits sound lovely.

17. Susan
    October 14, 2015 / 5:19 am

We are only 6 weeks into Spring and already the temperatures are in the 90s some days and am dreading the summer. I am afraid unlike most of the women on this website, I cannot wear long trousers in summer – I get too hot. I am updating my wardrobe with linen and cotton dresses, plus some skirts and short sleeve tee shirts. I know longer sleeves look smarter, but when it is over 100 degrees several days running, practicality rules. I envy you, Susan as you do look very stylish in those outfits, but I would probably be wearing them when the temp is in the high 60s, low 70s.

October 14, 2015 / 7:13 pm

Susan, once it hits 100 degrees, I tend to abandon sleeves too!

18. October 15, 2015 / 6:36 am

You look fabulous! I love your style, am trying to follow your looks picking up similar clothing here in Australia, our summers are very hot and I have a meltdown and never know what to wear – thanks for the inspiration!

19. October 18, 2015 / 7:44 pm

Absolutely love that top outfit and the necklaces are gorgeous. We recently had a little 2-3 day getaway only about 3 hrs from where we live. We had been on a “healthy eating” plan, but this trip we allowed splurges… so our whole getaway seemed to pretty much revolve around amazing food. haha

20. October 18, 2015 / 8:34 pm

The weather is crazy this year, but we’re enjoying comfortable warmth and lots of sunshine here in Oregon. We’re finally getting rain, but at least no flash floods like your area!

I agree that light cotton shirts can be cooler than t-shirts – I like them because they don’t cling. I could do with some lovely, drapey ones like yours. You also look so stylish!