A Lucky Find In Paris

Style blogger Susan B. wears an agnes b. a-line wool coat. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

A camel coat is of those items that’s been on my wish list for years.* Decades, even. It’s such a timeless piece, and understatedly elegant. But the right one has eluded me. Color, shape, weight, fabric, details…there was always at least one of these elements that missed the mark. But this coat ticks all of those boxes. Total coup de foudre.

It’s from the iconic French brand agnes b. I spotted it in a boutique near my hotel on my second day in Paris. It was the last one in this color. I was lucky; it was the right size. The fabric’s not actually camel-hair, but a wool/Angora blend that’s light and really, really soft.

Susan B. wears a camel jacket from agnes b. in front of a blue door in Paris.

What I love most is the shape and cut. It very has a 1950’s feel to it: A-line, almost a swing coat. And those self-covered buttons! The sleeves need to be shortened, but otherwise it fits like a dream. The collar can be worn up or down.

Susan B. wears an agnes b. camel jacket in Paris.

It’s hard to get the color right in the photos, but it’s a very neutral shade, not too cool or warm. The color seems to change depending on the light.

Susan B. wears a beige jacket from agnes b. in Paris.

It’s warm but still lightweight enough for the cool months in LA. And the fit also allows me to layer up underneath if needed.

*I’m using “camel” here to refer to the color, not necessarily the material. You could also call it “tan” and I wouldn’t argue.

Photos taken by Josephine (Chic At Any Age).

I haven’t been able to find this particular style online, but here are a few with a similar look:

stadium cloth coat from J.Crew. Details at une femme d'un certain age.
J.Crew

Ann Taylor camel wrap coat. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Ann Taylor

Everlane cocoon coat in tan. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Everlane

felt wool coat from French Connection. More like this at une femme d'un certain age.

French Connection

tan wool car coat from Lands' End. More at une femme d'un certain age.
Lands’ End

Is there anything on your wardrobe wish list that has eluded you for years?

Camel Coat Options…

1. Nancy
    October 31, 2017 / 3:21 am

Beautiful. I have tended shy away from camel colored coats for myself because most of the shades of this color wash me out but this one is perfect for you. So classic and timeless.

2. October 31, 2017 / 3:41 am

Looks very good on you and goes with EVERYTHING! I had a similar coloured coat, perhaps with a little more pink. I always felt great in it. It was from UK brand Principles but was expensive for them as it had cashmere. It kept beautifully for several years until fashion overtook it!

3. Mary, The Pouting Pensioner
    October 31, 2017 / 4:15 am

Beautiful! Oops. Just spotted Nancy said that too, but I’m sticking with the word because beautiful it is. The neckline does it for me. So classic, so classy. Great find.
    Hugs, x.

4. Beverly
    October 31, 2017 / 4:20 am

I will be the third person to say this is such a beautiful coat! I’ve been looking for one for a long time too, but I’m looking for one with raglan shoulders. I had one many years ago and never got over letting it go!

5. Gingerr
    October 31, 2017 / 4:20 am

Looks nice with the scarf.

6. October 31, 2017 / 4:41 am

Love the Agnes B topper. Looks so chic on you with the floral scarf. Camel can be a tough color to wear and you make it work here. A real keeper for your forever wardrobe! Fabuleux!!!!

7. Jeannine
    October 31, 2017 / 4:48 am

As a teenager I had a camel coat – below the knee, large collar, wrap style (no buttons). I loved that coat and wore it, literally, to its demise. I’ve had my eyes open for a replacement on and off for years. Occasionally I see one that is close, but not quite, or I see one, but am unwilling to pay the steep price. That coat and a classic trench coat I have loved all my life (I’m 60). Finally a couple years ago I bought the classic trench, now to just get the camel coat!

8. October 31, 2017 / 5:08 am

There’s no better souvenir than something useful like a coat! I love the collar.

9. sequinist
    October 31, 2017 / 5:58 am

I’ve also been searching for the right camel coat… it has to be warm-toned enough (not too putty coloured) to work on me. I ADORE the shawl collar neckline on the Agnes B one you scored. It is perfect, and you’ll get years and years out of this, I bet! xx

10. Cher
    October 31, 2017 / 6:02 am

Jackpot for sure. I immediately saw the 1950’s influence which brings back memories of a classic look! Love it!

11. Kate
    October 31, 2017 / 6:27 am

Love your camel coat; I find it difficult to wear camel because of my silver hair but I have held on to my mother’s camel coat for years because it’s so classic and I keep thinking I’ll find a way to wear it. It’s style is very similar to the Ann Taylor coat. Maybe a scarf will help?

12. amidprivilege
    October 31, 2017 / 6:52 am

Such a great silhouette for your wardrobe, that coat. And so pale – works great with your hair I think!

13. Vancouver Barbara
    October 31, 2017 / 8:04 am

Great shape. Perfect colour. Well done.

14. Lauretta Jane Gladding
    October 31, 2017 / 8:08 am

It’s a lovely coat and compliments your skin tone beautifully. I’ve always avoided a “camel” color, because it washes me out. Now I’ve let my hair go to it’s natural color (which is graying ALOT…lol), I would love to find a coat with a softer color than black, which is what I have now, but still be a color I could wear with anything.

15. Ann H
    October 31, 2017 / 8:26 am

Great length for our in and out of the car lifestyle here in California. Perfect!

16. October 31, 2017 / 8:43 am

Gorgeous coat! What a find. I’ve been wanting a Camel coat forever but haven’t found the right tone for my skin in a shape I like. This is a winner.

17. Jen
    October 31, 2017 / 9:37 am

Lovely coat! Great find!

18. Susan G
    October 31, 2017 / 10:32 am

Love the coat. I picked up a similar, but longer, vintage coat last Spring. I had it hemmed to 3/4s length like yours.
    I’m searching for red leather boots, but just can’t seem to find the right shade, texture or shape. Let it go, they will come.

19. October 31, 2017 / 11:59 am

I echo the comments especially those of us whose skin tone precludes us from most shades of camel. My fix last year was a pale grey.

20. Kathryn
    October 31, 2017 / 1:30 pm

Love the coat!! It really suits you perfectly and you look super happy in it!
    This was my year for a ‘camel’ coat too by the way. I went for a long length with lapels and a folded cuff. I feel very 1950’s movie star glam in it.
    As a fellow blonde, I think these particular coats look so luxurious with blonde hair, pearls and a great scarf.
    (move over, Marilyn!!)

21. Karen LA
    October 31, 2017 / 8:16 pm

That coat and color looks great on you. One of the best looks I’ve seen.

22. October 31, 2017 / 8:32 pm

You had me at covered buttons!

23. November 1, 2017 / 1:07 am

A terrific coat. And you will get so much more mileage out of it than I would have, if I had bought that green coat haha. Josephine shot fantastic photos of you in the coat. Paris is such a lovely background for photos.. sigh..
    Greetje

24. Vicki
    November 1, 2017 / 6:03 am

What a great coat on you, love the colour and, what a timeless design.

25. Elle
    November 1, 2017 / 7:32 am

Gorgeous on you! Can you please share the specific pant you are wearing here? …Just the fit I am looking for.

26. nosherium
    November 1, 2017 / 10:36 am

Gorgeous! What a wonderful find. I stumbled across a vintage camel-colored coat last year and can’t wait until it is chilly enough to wear it. Mine as a fur collar, which I love, but I might see if I can make it detachable for great versatility. https://www.instagram.com/p/BPp9zSXF7dB/

27. November 1, 2017 / 11:42 am

Love that coat it looks so good on you.

28. Jan
    November 1, 2017 / 1:36 pm

Nice coat, but I’m really lusting after your scarf.

29. plutrell
    November 2, 2017 / 4:40 am

A great find! I love to bring home a garment from my travels!! You look great.

30. November 3, 2017 / 5:10 pm

It is a sumptuous, but simple, coat and suits you to a T. But even though I inherited one once, I regifted it to a blonde friend – it washed me out. I want a green coat like that, but I have in mind a certain shade of green that harks back to the same era. Sort of like camelhair dyed a mossy green…

I guess that even though you probably wouldn’t wear that much in Southern California, even a trip to SF or the mountains on a blustery day could justify it, to say nothing of travel to Paris or any point north in Europe (though beware the rain in Amsterdam)…

By itself, it isn’t quite warm enough for the worst winter weather up here, but nowadays there are down and technical layering garments that it would make it toasty in Minneapolis, Montréal or Maine, without making the wearer look like Michelin woman.

31. Rita
    November 4, 2017 / 8:27 am

The fit and lines of that coat are perfect!