Some years I’m really on top of my holiday gift shopping. This is not one of those years. I’m just now wrapping my head around putting lists together and coming up with ideas. But one thing that doesn’t change from year to year: I like to give gifts that I think people will actually use, and that won’t end up in a land fill by February. So my gift ideas often tend to skew toward the practical rather than the fanciful.
Gift Guide: The Traveler
Whether the traveler on your gift list is a Frequent Flyer, an Annual Vacationer, or a Roadtrip Warrior, here are a few ideas to make their journeys easier and more comfortable.
- Silk sleep mask. I’m a recent convert to sleep masks. I find them helpful not only for getting better quality sleep during long flights, but also for blocking unavoidable ambient light in lodgings. This silk mask is comfortable even for sensitive skin, and it’s washable too.
- Monogrammed leather luggage tag. Ditch those flimsy paper or plastic luggage tags. Go for a bright color that will help them easily spot their bag on the luggage carousel.
- Noise-canceling earbuds. Listen to music or movies while reducing ambient noise.
- Makeup travel brush set. These short-handled brushes come with their own travel case, but can also fit into compact cosmetic bags.
- Compression socks. These help prevent swelling during long flights, and provide support for long days of sightseeing. Why not have fun with color and pattern?
- EMME toiletries bag. This has been one of my top recommendations for a few years running. It’s such a well-designed toiletries bag, holds quite a bit and hangs to save space in a small bathroom.
- Elegant, lightweight luggage.This line from Bric’s has the look of an old-school steamer trunk, but weighs in at under 6 pounds for the carry-on size.