My Winter Skincare Routine for Mature Skin…
While I periodically try to simplify my skincare routine, I always end up adding back products over time. (But it’s not as intimidating as it might look. 😆) I’ll be honest, most days I approach skincare the same as flossing and brushing my teeth. Sure, I like products that smell and feel good, but it’s mostly about the results for me, and the process isn’t something I tend to linger over. My morning and evening routines each take around 5 minutes.
Winters can be dry here, so I’m all about hydration. Here’s my daily régime de soins de la peau:
- I don’t wash my face in the morning, just rinse with water, then pat dry.
- When the air is dry, I’ll mist with a little of the Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence to face and neck.
- While my skin is still damp, I’ll apply the Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum. This was recommended to help retain moisture in the skin.
- Then the Drunk Elephant C-Firma Vitamin C Day Serum. I’ve been using this one for a while and really like it.
- Eye Cream: love the Brian + MW Illuminate & Contour Eye Treatment. I don’t have a lot of issues with puffiness or dark circles, but this eye cream has noticeably reduced the crepe-y texture and redness on my eyelids.
- Moisturizer: Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. I won’t pretend the pretty rose fragrance isn’t part of the allure, but this also really absorbs into my skin and feels like it seals in moisture.
- Brian + MW Firming Neck & Throat Creme (not shown). When I use this regularly, it really does firm and improve the texture of the skin on my neck. (Just ran out, need to reorder!)
- SPF: I use a barrier sunscreen every day, even if I’m not planning to be outdoors very much. I started using this Elta MD Clear SPF 46 a few months ago and have been pleased with it.
- I’m still using and loving the Colleen Rothschild Radiant Cleansing Balm (c/o, not shown) nightly. It removes makeup but leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated, not tight.
- Then a shot of Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum.
- Exfoliation is key to preventing dullness and allowing active ingredients in products to penetrate the skin, so I use prescription Retin-A nightly. (My dermatologist feels a lower percentage formula used nightly is most effective.) I don’t have an issue with it being irritating, but some people do. If your skin can’t tolerate prescription Retin-A, a retinol product like Colleen Rothschild Mandelic Acid Radiance Serum or Brian + MW Super Radiance Exfoliating Freshener can be gentler but still effective options.
- Then the Brian + MW Illuminate & Contour Eye Treatment.
- I’ve been using the Colleen Rothschild Extreme Recovery Cream (c/o) as my nighttime moisturizer, and though it feels very light going on, it’s soothing and does seem to keep my skin from drying out overnight. (I also like the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Night Cream, but it’s a heavier one.)
- Brian + MW Firming Neck & Throat Creme
- Once a month or so, I replace the last two steps with Sisley Paris Black Rose Cream Mask, and leave on overnight. (This is also my Not-So-Secret Weapon for keeping my skin hydrated on long flights…apply after takeoff, remove before landing, then apply moisturizer & sunscreen.)
Both mornings and evenings, and usually once mid-day, I apply a little bit of Brian + MW Re-Creation Lip Treatment. This stuff is amazing for preventing dryness & flaking, and keeps my lips smooth.
So there you have it, my Winter Skincare routine. All of the products mentioned are cruelty-free except for the Sisley Paris (which is sold in China).
What skincare products do you rely on during dry winter months?